If there’s one person I envy, it’s a morning person.
I don’t know how they do it. They get up with their mindset all ready for the long day ahead while here I am, still hitting the snooze button.
Don’t even get me started on breakfast. I’m not one to make elaborate meals that will power me through the day. However, the sluggish in me found a way to cook up delicious (and healthy) breakfasts that won’t take up a huge chunk of my hectic day.
Thanks to The Kitchn, I’ve sworn myself to these five portable breakfasts — and you should to! Check out their website for the full recipe.
Dishes to cook:
- Chocolate-cherry granola muffins
- Honey-yogurt avocado toast
- The wrapped breakfast quesadilla
- Freezer-friendly frittata breakfast sandwiches
- Savory grits breakfast parfaits
- Uncooked chicken or turkey Italian sausage (1 pound)
- Baby spinach (10 to 12 ounces)
- Avocado (1/2 per avocado toast)
- Cheddar, Monterey Jack, or Swiss cheese (six 1-ounce slices)
- Shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese (1 cup)
- Shredded cheddar cheese (1/2 cup)
- Plain whole-milk Greek yogurt (1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons per avocado toast)
- Hearty sandwich bread, such as peasant bread, sourdough, whole-wheat, or multi-grain (1 slice per avocado toast)
- English muffins, regular or whole-wheat (6)
- Flour tortillas, 10-inch (4)
- Dried cherries (1 cup)
- Granola (1 cup)
- Grits (1 cup)
- Shredded cheese, thinly sliced green onion, or minced fresh chives (optional for topping the grits)
- Yellow onion (1)
- Large eggs (14)
- Whole milk (3 cups)
- Milk, not nonfat (1/2 cup)
- Mexican hot sauce (optional)
- All-purpose flour (1 2/3 cups)
- Unsweetened cocoa powder (1/3 cup)
- Dark brown sugar (3/4 cup)
- Honey (1 teaspoon per avocado toast, plus more for drizzling)
- Vanilla extract (1 teaspoon per avocado toast)
- Baking powder (1 teaspoon)
- Baking soda (1 teaspoon)
- Olive oil (2 tablespoons)
- Vegetable oil (1/2 cup)
- Salt, fine and kosher
- Black pepper
Meal plan tips:
Sunday (Prep day)
Cook the spinach and sausage mixture for the frittata.
Make and assemble the frittata breakfast sandwiches.
Save frittata scraps for quesadillas.
Bake the muffins and freeze any that won’t be eaten within two days.
Heat breakfast sandwiches and go!
Enjoy the muffins.
Make the breakfast quesadillas with the leftover chopped frittata.
Freeze any uneaten quesadillas.
Make the avocado toast.
In the evening, make the savory grits parfaits.
Heat the parfaits in the microwave.
image source: thekitchn.com